Read the latest on "UMCalledOut." It carries A LOT more LGBT news that is NOT posted on this web site.
- Controversy Over the Nomination of Dr. James W. Holsinger Jr. for Surgeon General
- Ongoing News and Views on "UMCalledOut
- A Questionable Nominee: A prospective surgeon general's 1991 paper on gay men haunts him in
- 2007, and deservedly so, The Washington Post, Thursday, June 14, 2007.
- Holsinger Nomination Assailed, Defended, by Cynthia B. Astle, UM NeXus, June 13, 2007.
- Surgeon General Nominee Would Be Bad for Gay Families, Statement released June 5, 2007 by the Rev. Troy Plummer, Executive Director of Reconciling Ministries Network of United Methodists and National Religious Leadership Roundtable Member
- For ongoing tracking of this controversy see also: Bible Belt Blogger, by Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Religion Editor Frank Lockwood
- Affirmation Congratulates the Rev. Drew Phoenix, Affirmation, May 31, 2007. Also available in PDF (1 p, 20K)
- United Methodist Pastor Speaks of Transgender Experience, A UMNS Report, May 25, 2007
- Affirmation Newsletter, December 2006 (PDF, 8 pp, 180K). Affirmation Welcomes a New CoSpokesperson, Faces of Affirmation, Jesus, The Bible and Homosexuality and more.
Affirmation is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization with no official ties to The United Methodist Church. Tax-deductible contributions to Affirmation are welcome. Donate securely online or print our online form and mail it with your gift to PO Box 1021, Evanston, IL 60204. All contributors of $25 or more will be considered members of Affirmation (unless they request otherwise) and will receive the quarterly newsletter.
Affirmation's Mission Statement: As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people, Affirmation radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church as we journey with the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.
- Join "Called Out" (email edition) for the fastest LGBT news. Sign up on the web or send a blank e-mail to UMCalledOutemail@example.com.
Called Out's messages are now available in RSS format. You can read RSS messages in My Yahoo!, an RSS reader or a news aggregator, or display them in your web log ("blog") for others to see. The feed is http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/UMCalledOut/rss.
- Here We Stand: Calling the United Methodist Church to Embody God's Love and Justice
We, the undersigned church leaders, have come together to take a stand in response to recent decisions by the United Methodist Judicial Council.
- Day of Silence
The Day of Silence, a project of the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) in collaboration with the United States Student Association (USSA), is a student-led day of action. This year it happens April 13, 2005.
- Reconciling Ministries Contacts Lists
Three lists: Reconciling Communities, Reconciling Ministries Conference Coordinators, and Parents' Reconciling Network Conference Coordinators. Reconciling Communities include United Methodist congregations, campus ministries, conferences and other groups have made a public declaration that they welcome all persons, regardless of sexual orientation to participate fully in the life of their community.
- Welcoming Ministries
Looking for an LGBT-friendly church? Over 1,500 welcoming communities are found in ten denominations in the United States and Canada.
- More links to other United Methodist web sites.
Spirituality and Theology
Note: Current news and additional news from 1999 to the present are archived in CALLED OUT (YahooGroups).
How to Contact Us:
Affirmation email: firstname.lastname@example.org
CORNET email: email@example.com
Affirmation web: http://www.umaffirm.org
Snail-Mail: Affirmation, P.O. Box 1021, Evanston, IL 60204.